[ntp:questions] improving ntpd performance on Windows

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 13:46:57 UTC 2009

Dave Hart wrote:
[]
> I'm particularly interested in how it works on systems with 100 Hz
> system clock interrupts (10 msec period).  All my test flock are 64
> Hz.  This version (and my prior test versions going back weeks) tells
> you your system clock period in the event log or configured log file:
[]
> Enjoy,
> Dave Hart

Folks,

Dave Hart asked that I post this information:

Very briefly, I happen to have a 100Hz system, and have been playing with
the improved version of ntpd.exe on a Windows 2000 system.  Working with
Dave, we found that it did have some issues, and it seems that these
issues have probably been resolved by setting the sample interval to 26
milliseconds instead of the default 43 milliseconds.

Although with a Windows XP or later system, you could do this by setting a
System environment variable:

Variable:
  NTPD_INT_INT

String value:
  26

You would do this by right clicking on my computer and pick properties.
Use the Environment Variables button in the Advanced tab of the Computer
Properties dialog, and be sure to add a System variable rather than a User
variable.

However, in a Windows 2000 system, it seems that the environment is not
read again when your stop and restart a service, so Dave advised me to run
ntpd.exe interactively, so I ended up with a command file like:

NET STOP NTP
SET NTPD_INT_INT=26
CD <where-ntpd.exe lives>
ntpd -n -g -c "c:\ntp\ntp.conf" -M

I hope that may help those of you testing this rather good new version.

Cheers,
David