[ntp:questions] Proposed NTP solution for a network

Jason bmwjason at bmwlt.com
Tue Mar 3 13:13:07 UTC 2009

Terje Mathisen wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Jason wrote:
>> []
>>> G. What have I missed, or gotten confused?
>> []
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason.
>>
>> You forgot to say what the going rate is for the consultancy you want!
>>
>> <G>
>
 > Indeed. My standard rate is $200+ per hour.
 >
 > First of all: The 10s of us requirement within a site is _not_ feasible
 > without direct PPS sync on every server, and since your blades cannot do
 > this, the only alternative would be some other form of HW sync (like
 > having blades that can slave their master clock to the host enclosure,
 > and then using PPS to lock that master frequency).
This is what I was afraid of. When queiried, the manufacturer responded
with, well, nothing. Like they'd never heard of such a thing.

 > OTOH 100-1000 us is in fact quite doable using standard NTP.
The critical time-stamp of the transactions must be tighter than 100us.

 > I would as a bare minimum configure two S2 servers at each site, both of
 > them as clients of all 3 GPS-based appliances, as well as 2-3
 > internet-based sources (either pool.ntp or a private peering agreement
 > with another nearby GPS-based company).
Good info, I'll start looking for both trusted (probably authenicated)
and accurate private sources -- some of our interconnected customers
also have sources.

 > Finally I would use the same NTP configuration on every single of the
 > remaining servers, syncing to all 6 of the secondary servers.
Without a doubt -- I'm pushing the sys admins to reconcile every server
NTP config.

 > Terje

Thank you.

Jason.