[ntp:questions] Proposed NTP solution for a network

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Tue Mar 3 14:02:10 UTC 2009

Jason wrote:
> The critical time-stamp of the transactions must be tighter than 100us.

Sorry, no can do, except probabilistically: You can get X% of time
samples within 100us, as measured by the loopstats file on each client
machine, but you cannot guarantee it up front.

OTOH, what you _can_ do is to generate a setup where you can, post
facto, calculate the worst case error for any given time stamp:

First you buy 3 or 6 Garmin 18 LVCs (or better: Synergy/Oncore timing
receivers set in Zero-D mode) and connect them directly to your primary
servers (using the appliance NTP servers as backup), then run both
clockstats and loopstats logging files.

With loopstats logging on each client server you can go into these logs
and calculate the worst-case error for the sync periods just before and
just after the transaction timestamp you need to document. These values
are a pretty good estimate of the real quality of said timestamp.

Setting all servers to maxpoll=6 might be needed to follow fast
temperature fluctuations quickly enough, even though this results in
worse long-term frequency determination. (Your servers will make a lot
of micro-adjustments to the clock frequency in order to track as closely
as possible.)

Anyway, with all servers in a given location sitting on the same fast
switch, you might in fact be able to stay consistently below 100 us, but
it isn't easy!
I've just checked my own primary NTP servers, of which I have 2 in each
of 3 locations, with a single GPS in each location:

In Oslo, where the secondary server is using 64 second poll interval
(maxpoll=6), the current offset from the primary server is 76 us, with
jitter = 89 us.

In Porsgrunn, with default (1024 seconds) poll interval, the offset is
3.4 ms, with jitter varying between 0.5 ms and 34 us.

In Bergen the primary server went offline, so the secondary fell back on
the WAN connection to Porsgrunn and is running at 1024 seconds poll,
with current offset/jitter at 370/46 us.

In all these locations the two NTP servers are dedicated machines,
sitting on the same local switch.

I.e. you _might_ be able to get below 100 us _most_ of the time, but
there's no way you can guarantee it without scrapping your current blade
setup and going to servers with serial ports for PPS signals.

With a low maxpoll value you can estimate timestamps offsets after the fact.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>