[ntp:questions] improving ntpd performance on Windows

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Thu Mar 5 18:44:13 UTC 2009

Dave Hart wrote:
> On Feb 27, 3:28 pm, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
> wrote:
>> I've just installed your binary on one W2k and one Vista32 machine. I'll let
>> it run over the weekend and report.
>
> Great, thanks Martin.
>
>> I've also got an old machine with 10 ms clock interval. However, I have
>> installed NT4 on that one, and your binaries refuse to start under NT4.
>>
>> I've tried to recompile your sources in my VC6 environment, but there are
>> lots of build errors. I don't have the time to fix these now, so I'll have
>> to give up on this for now.
>
> Yes, apparently there's something about VC++ 2008 binaries that
> doesn't get along with pre-W2K NT.  I don't know if there's something
> I could do to fix that (other than switch to an earlier compiler), if
> so, I'd like to try.  Meanwhile, I'm not surprised at the build errors
> on VC6 since I haven't had any testing of my changes against that
> compiler prior to your attempt.  It shouldn't be too hard to work
> through the issues with your help or Danny Mayer's, given the always
> elusive time.  Thanks for trying.

Any changes to support VC 2008, VS 2005 and VS 6 need to be integrated
into config.h. I'm not inclined to support .NET 2003 (or it's
predecessor .NET 2002) just because of the headaches involved and I
don't see a lot of demand for it. I have all of them scattered around on
various systems but it's always a headache to test.

Danny

Danny

believed to be clean.