[ntp:questions] NTP sync problem. "no server reachable"

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Mar 6 17:56:59 UTC 2009

>>> In article <1236358278.72787 at sj-nntpcache-3.cisco.com>, "kiran shirol" <kiran.shirol at gmail.com> writes:

kiran> Thanks Martin for the response.  Unfornutately I reloaded the box and
kiran> was not able to collect the output of the "ntpq -p". However the two
kiran> servers which I had configured were just 2-3 mins apart.  Can you
kiran> please explain what would be going wrong here ?

What is going wrong is your two servers are 2-3 minutes apart.

If you ask person A the time, and they say "8:43" and that is the only
person available, you can choose to believe them.  If, 2 minutes later,
person A leaves and person B arrives and you ask them the same question and
they say "8:47" you can choose to believe them.

But if they are both in the room and you ask them and their answer differs
by 2 minutes, what do you do then?
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!