[ntp:questions] Reference implementation 4.2.4p6 receive() swapping bytes..?

regan_russell at hotmail.com regan_russell at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 7 01:53:26 UTC 2009

Hi there,

In ntp_config.c I have added my own modifiers on the server line so
that if talking to one of my own servers I flag it as such, in the
peer structure I add a flag to indicate own of my category of time
servers, I added code to ntp_crypto.c and ntp_protocol.c and have my
own crypto type and shove my own stuff into extension fields. All the
stuff I am doing works but...

This is my problem..

In the receive() function I am getting packets with the xmit, rec,
orig fields and semi-randomly in different byte order.
I chased this down from process_packet() but stopped there. There is
almost a pattern to it..It is almost deterministic...

host order
host order
network order
network order
host order
host order
host order
network order
network order
host
network

What is going on...? Have I broken something..? Is there something I
am simply just not getting..?
Both pen and paper and programmatically (logging) I can determine
ordering similar to the above..

Its driving me nuts.. any ideas anyone..?

Cheers,

Regan