[ntp:questions] http://www.ntp.org/ => a blank page?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 18:26:24 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> I've been using Comcast for five or six years now without a problem!
> YMMV.

There have been a few problems with my ISP, hence I moved to a 3rd party.

> I could set up my own DNS server but what would be the point?  A hosts
> file provides the addresses of the nodes on my RFC-1918 private
> network. The rest of the world, I would have to get from Comcast in
> any case. Certainly, I could cache the addresses I use frequently on
> a DNS of my own but Comcast already provides this service.

I used to have my own DNS server.  You do /not/ have to get the rest of
the world from Comcast.  DNS is /not/ like NTP, and you talk directly to
the root servers to start with, which then pass you down gradually to the
correct server for the domain (e.g. for microsoft.com) and in future you
query the relevant domain server directly.  All seems to work very
smoothly and automatically.  I don't know which the "official" version is,
but there's one here:

  http://www.bind9.net/download

That's my simple explanation, but there are many here much more qualified
than me!

Cheers,
David