[ntp:questions] Very rapid polling

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Tue Mar 10 07:46:34 UTC 2009

On Feb 9, 3:07 pm, jlevine <jlev... at boulder.nist.gov> wrote:
> In the last few days I have seen an increasing number of systems that
> are requesting the time in NTP format several times per second. This
> poll interval is far in excess of the usual best practices. Since
> there are a number of such systems, it is possible that this problem
> is a result of a new version of NTP that has just been released.
> Please let me know if you have any information about a new version of
> NTP that can do this or if any of you are seeing the same problem.

Over at the NTP Pool we see this quite a bit.  It's typical that on
any one server a couple of IPs (out of thousands) are responsible for
several percent of the requests.

Some clients will stop when the replies stop.  Others are running at
the crazy query rate because they don't get the replies (broken
firewall configuration, for example).  I don't think have ever gotten
consensus on what strategy works the best.

  - ask