[ntp:questions] Windows ntpd highest priority doesn't require admin access

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 07:44:33 UTC 2009

Danny Mayer wrote:
[]
> Why would the account even be in the adminstrators group? It shouldn't
> even be in the users group since that also has too many privileges.

It could be there because you have put it there during testing a new
version, to allow change of priority.  It's a lot quicker to do that than
to use the policy editor, and it's also easy to change back.

> There are only two privileges that should be required: Logon as
> service and Change system time. If you want to add Increase
> Scheduling priority you can if you think it's necessary. It's not
> strictly necessary for ntp from what I have seen.
>
> Danny

I have found that running at real-time makes little difference on a
lightly loaded system running as a stratum 1 server, but it might help on
a CPU-saturated system.  Of course, I would not be expecting any great
precision from such a loaded PC!

David