[ntp:questions] best gps receiver for time synchronization

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Mar 10 08:59:38 UTC 2009

Jack,

jack wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to sync my Windows box to an external GPS source. I
> currently have BU353, whose output is not very periodic. I read up on
> ntpd implementation that uses PPS signal but I don't even have an RS
> 232 port on my computer.
>
> My questions:
> 1) what's the best GPS antenna (and protocol) in terms of
> consistencies in its output?
> 2) what kind of accuracy can i expect?

This is somewhat limited under Windows due to the granularity of the Windows
system clock.

Alternatively you could install a GPS PCI card which your applications can
also access directly, so you can benefit from the full accuracy of the
card, e.g.:
http://www.meinberg.de/english/products/gps170pex.htm

Take care, though, I'm biased!  ;-))

Martin