[ntp:questions] best gps receiver for time synchronization

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Mar 10 08:54:44 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> Unruh wrote:
>

>> No. That is what GPS does for you. It determines your postion, then uses
>> that to determine the time delay from the sattelite to your receiver.
>
> Actually, it is the other way round.  It uses the differences in the
> time delays to solve for the position (and the actual time delays).

Right. However, it computes the position of the *antenna*. So if you
receiver is connected via a long antenna cable you have to compensate the
signal delay on the cable. This can not be done automatically by the GPS
receiver.

For examples, for our GPS receivers the antenna can be installed up to 300
meters away from the receiver, and you can configure the antenna cable
length in the receiver to compensate that delay.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren