[ntp:questions] best gps receiver for time synchronization

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:56:14 UTC 2009

On Mar 10, 3:44 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
wrote:
> You might want to take a look at the work of Poul-Henning Kamp (PHK).
> He used Soekris 4501 single board computers together with a GPS receiver
> to make a highly accurate clock.  This was long enough ago that most of
> the hardware he used is no longer available new but it might give you
> some ideas.

Seconded.  FreeBSD will give you better timekeeping than Windows.  If
the difference between a few microseconds and a few hundred
microseconds is no problem, my recent Windows releases are fine.  But
if you're dedicating a small PC to the task, care about those
fractions of a millisecond, and can manage FreeBSD, it's the gold
standard for NTP.

Cheers,
Dave Hart