[ntp:questions] Making a clock tell the wrong time?

Mike K Smith mks-usenet at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Mar 10 16:03:33 UTC 2009

On 10 Mar, 14:29, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2009-03-10, Mike K Smith <mks-use... at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> >Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
> >>Mike K Smith <mks-use... at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Now that I thing about it, what happened when you applied that offset is
> that you "moved" the clock 90ms.
>
> > What I saw was a very slow slew, which generated about 3ms offset in
> > an hour - this is just under 1ppm which I would expect from a free-
> > running local clock which has a fairly current drift correction..
>
> The place to see view offset is from the client. Is that where you were
> looking from?
Yes. The client is referenced to the genuine stratum 1 servers.

I have now reconfigured the PC to take a serial feed (NMEA) and the
use of the fudged time1 value on the NMEA driver is now working
exactly as I expected. I have removed the local refclock from the
config as it is of no value.

Thanks for following up on this.