[ntp:questions] Making a clock tell the wrong time?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 10 22:31:01 UTC 2009

Mike K Smith wrote:

> I want to understand how long it takes in practice for an offset to be
> propagated from stratum 1 servers through a set of stratum 2 servers
> to a stratum 3 client.

That's simple:

1) it should never happen - if it does the stratum one servers is badly
broken;

2) if it does happen, the error shouldn't propagate, because the
configuration should have enough good servers to outvote it.

It's a garbage in case.

A more reaslistic situation is that a client loses 10ms at frequent
intervals during high disk activity, but only in 10ms steps.