[ntp:questions] best gps receiver for time synchronization

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 08:16:06 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> David Woolley wrote:
>> []
>

>> David, do you have a reference for your "risks lost ticks" statement
>> as applied to Windows?
>
> Windows has been mentioned on this newsgroup as losing ticks on many
> occasions.  The fastest multi-media timers correspond to the timer
> frequencies that present high risks of losing ticks on Linux.
>
> I don't have sources outside this newsgroup

David,

Thanks for that, but I was hoping for a reference outside here.  Just
because Linux behaves one way doesn't mean that Windows will.

I ask because for the last several years I have been running my Windows
system with 1KHz timers (.e. with the MM timers enabled) and I haven't
been aware of any particular problems.  Indeed, the timekeeping with NTP
in a "client-only" configuration has been substantially improved by
running with the MM timers enabled, albeit because the enabled/disabled
switch introduced a glitch.

Cheers,
David