[ntp:questions] ntpd -x option

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Mar 12 18:41:32 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-12, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Ie, IF you do not want to have jumps even on bootup, want fast convergence
> to the good time,

In your haste to proselytize for chrony you've overlooked the fact the
the OP did not specify that he needs fast convergence.

In fact, in a discussion on IRC he told me that the speed of convergence
is at the bottom of his list of requirements. The most important thing
is that his clock _never_ steps.

> even if it starts out way off, and want hardware clocks, you have zero
> choices at present. You have to give up one of those. Which is the
> cheapest to give up?

The problem that the OP needs to solve is the fact that ntpd sees that a
frequency correction of ~700PPM is required and that it exits.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>