[ntp:questions] Significance of "space" in the ntpq -p display

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 20:28:40 UTC 2009

Dave Hart wrote:
> On Mar 12, 8:12 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.neither-
> this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> wrote:
>> Dave Hart wrote:
>>> It looks like you've found a documentation omission.
>>
>> Thanks, Dave. As you have the code to hand, could you report it as a
>> bug?
>
> Sure.  Where did you find the slightly inadequate description of space
> in the first character of the peers billboard lines?

The only table I can find on the official site is:

  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/decode.html

where the description is: "discarded as not valid (TEST10-TEST13)"

Search Google with the exact phrase:  "The peer is discarded as
unreachable, synchronized to this server (synch loop) or outrageous
synchronization distance."  and you get three pages of hits.  These appear
to refer to the man page for ntpq(8) which I don't have.

Cheers,
David