[ntp:questions] Significance of "space" in the ntpq -p display

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 22:33:22 UTC 2009

Dave Hart wrote:
[]
>> The only table I can find on the official site is:
>>
>> http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/decode.html
>>
>> where the description is: "discarded as not valid (TEST10-TEST13)"
>
> Does it also have a more detailed description of TEST12?

Yes:  "peer synchronization loop"

[]
> I believe the reference NTP source does not include man pages, so I
> don't think a http://bugs.ntp.org/ report would be useful.  You might
> check http://support.ntp.org/ to see if there's something you can add
> or correct there about peers billboard sync codes.
[]
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

I tend to use Google, which for "ntpq" brings up:

  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpq.html

Unfortunately, that page doesn't have any explanation of the codes, indeed
the section "peers" is confusing to me in that the columns are listed as:

ind assid status conf reach auth condition last_event cnt

which doesn't seem to agree with the output I see, for example:

C:\>ntpq -p
jitter
*feenix          .GPS.            1 u  246  512  377    1.109   -0.261
0.135

or the table below in the document.  It's in the table below where the
meaning of the letters could be added.

Cheers,
David