[ntp:questions] ntpd -x option

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Mar 13 01:17:14 UTC 2009

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

>Unruh wrote:
>> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

>>> In your haste to proselytize for chrony you've overlooked the fact the
>>> the OP did not specify that he needs fast convergence.
>>
>>> In fact, in a discussion on IRC he told me that the speed of convergence
>>> is at the bottom of his list of requirements. The most important thing
>>> is that his clock _never_ steps.

>>> The problem that the OP needs to solve is the fact that ntpd sees that a
>>> frequency correction of ~700PPM is required and that it exits.
>>

>A frequency correction of 700PPM is outside the limits of the worst that
>  ntpd can handle.  It's indicative of seriously broken hardware.  A
>typical system would need a correction in the range +/- 100 PPM; MOST
>hardware is well within +/- 50 PPM.

That 700PPM is NOT the hardware drift, it is what ntp wants to use to bring
a seriously off time clock back to being on time. Remember that ntp adjusts
the clock ONLY by altering the drift rate or by stepping. The user does NOT
want to step ever, even at bootup. Thus he must alter the clock rate. But
if the clock is out by 30min say, ntp will try to use a huge drift rate,
much beyond the 500PPM ntp will allow him to use.

>> Yes, that will happen with a large correction needed. The correction is
>> applied by taking the size of the offset, multiplying it by a small factor
>> and altering the rate by the result. If the offset is large, the rate
>> change will be large. Now, I had thought that ntp 4.2.4 clamped it at 500PPM but
>> my memory of reading the source is not good enough.
>>
>Your memory agrees with mine!  500 PPM is the maximum slew rate.

>> Note than an offset of minutes or hours  would take many days to correct.
>> (At 500PPM, 1 min takes 2000 min to correct, and 1 hour, 2000 hours.
>> Why you would want to have your clock out of commission for that length of
>> time I do not know. It would almost certainly crash long before it got on
>> time, and everything would have to start over. Ie, everyone wants speed. )
>>

>An offset of "hours" should never occur.  If it does occur it is, again,
>indicative of seriously broken hardware or human tampering!  (I'm
>assuming that we are not talking about startup with an uncorrected
>offest of that magnitude.)

We are talking about startup. He does NOT want to step the clock ever, even
on startup.