[ntp:questions] Significance of "space" in the ntpq -p display

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 07:50:27 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> i.e. server B and C have a space rather than any other character. Those
>> servers are fine, but they are both actually syncing from
>> server A. Space appears to be defined as:
>>
>> "The peer is discarded as unreachable, synchronized to this server
>> (synch loop) or outrageous synchronization distance."
>
> I think you will find it is almost every rejection reason except for
> falseticker or surplus to requirements.
>
> You need to list the associations to get an idea of the problem and do
> rv against the association number to get the precise reason.

Thanks, David.

I can see that there may be no point in using the son, if the son is
syncing to the father, and you are already using the father.  I can also
accept your explanation that "space" means that it's neither surplus nor a
false-ticker.

In this case, it now seems obvious, so I won't delve further.

Cheers,
David