[ntp:questions] ntpd -x option

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Mar 13 07:56:25 UTC 2009

Matthias Fuchs wrote:

> But now, when I start ntpd with the -x option and an offset of
> about 30s before ntpd is started, I get error messages like this
>
>         frequency error 557 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM

I should also have pointed out that the 500ppm slew rate limit is
imposed by *n*x kernels, not by ntpd.  In the case of -x, which forced
the user space discipline, slews are implemented by periodically telling
the kernel to slew by a certain amount of time (not a rate).  The kernel
does this by changing the amount it adds to the high resolution software
clock for every tick until that correction is complete.  The amount of
the change is generally fixed at +/-500ppm (although it is less on some
older systems).

This worked where the clock could only be read to a resolution of one
tick. However, I would want to check the kernel sourced code before I
would be prepared to say that this produces strictly monotonic time with
the tick interpolation schemes used on modern systems.