[ntp:questions] Significance of "space" in the ntpq -p display

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Mar 13 12:08:14 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-12, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I tend to use Google, which for "ntpq" brings up:
>
>   http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpq.html

The documentation at that URL tracks the development version of NTP and
may not be correct for stable releases.

The authoritative documentation for stable releases of NTP is contianed
in the ./html/ directory of that release distribution. We have started
a searchable archive at http://doc.ntp.org/ to provide web access to
stable release documentation.

> Unfortunately, that page doesn't have any explanation of the codes,
> indeed the section "peers" is confusing to me in that the columns are
> listed as:

See the "Talley Codes" secion of http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/ntpq.html

space reject
    The peer is discarded as unreachable, synchronized to this server
(synch loop) or outrageous synchronization distance.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>