[ntp:questions] Sorry. Just a test post this time

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 13 14:59:25 UTC 2009

tomnykds at router1.chaos.home wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>> tomnykds at router1.chaos.home wrote:
>>> Just testing.  I'm expecting this to fail to post anyway.
>> Moron!
>
> Man!  Quick to judge.  Way to make someone feel at home.
>
>> There are test newsgroups if you feel that you absolutely MUST post a
>> test message!
>
> Yeah, I tried that, and it didn't work, so I tried here since it's one
> of the few groups I read, and there isn't a lot of noise.
>
> On the assumption you are reading this, the config changes that
> my news provider had to make, after complaining about so many
> failed posts, worked.
>
> Maybe I should have asked an NTP question instead of being honest.
> Sorry (again).
>
> Chris

Or answered one!

Test posts are one of my pet peeves.  I've been reading and posting news
since the mid 1980s.  It seems as if every newbie feels the need to post
a test message.  99.9999% have nothing to say but nevertheless feel
obligated to say something.

If you subscribe to a busy newsgroup you might have to wait a whole five
or ten minutes before receiving your first message.