[ntp:questions] Significance of "space" in the ntpq -p display

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 13:22:36 UTC 2009

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2009-03-12, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I tend to use Google, which for "ntpq" brings up:
>>
>>   http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpq.html
>
> The documentation at that URL tracks the development version of NTP
> and may not be correct for stable releases.

Yes, I appreciate that, and understand the background.

> The authoritative documentation for stable releases of NTP is
> contianed in the ./html/ directory of that release distribution. We
> have started a searchable archive at http://doc.ntp.org/ to provide
> web access to stable release documentation.

Thanks, Steve, I've bookmarked that page.

One suggestion, if you search on "ntpq", as I did, without specifying a
version number, it would be helpful if the most recent version were the
first hit returned.  Sorting by time or reverse time doesn't help.

  http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/ntpq.html

Having looked at that page, my comments about the missing reason for space
still apply, i.e. it should include something like "this peer is
synchronised to a source already used by this client" (although I
appreciate that "client" is not normal NTP-speak).

Can that documentation be updated?

Thanks,
David