[ntp:questions] Significance of "space" in the ntpq -p display

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Mar 13 13:56:27 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-13, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> We have started a searchable archive at http://doc.ntp.org/ to
>> provide web access to stable release documentation.
>
> One suggestion, if you search on "ntpq", as I did, without specifying
> a version number,

The default behavior is to search across all versions. You could have
restricted the scope of your search by specifying a version using the
check boxes on the home page or by selecting a release from the side bar
on the right side of the home page or by pointing your browser at
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4

> it would be helpful if the most recent version were the first hit
> returned.

I have no idea if that's possible with ht://dig.

The best I can do right now is to make the home page search default to
the current version.

> Having looked at that page, my comments about the missing reason for
> space still apply, i.e. it should include something like "this peer
> is synchronised to a source already used by this client" (although I
> appreciate that "client" is not normal NTP-speak).

The explanation is "The peer is discarded as unreachable, synchronized
to this server (synch loop) or outrageous synchronization distance. "

> Can that documentation be updated?

doc.ntp.org is an archive of the documentation released with specific
versions of The NTP Reference Implementation. The documentation housed
at doc.ntp.org is immutable.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>