[ntp:questions] demonstrate traceability to UTC

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Mar 14 06:34:41 UTC 2009

jlevine> On Mar 12, 10:06 am, Tom <tom_e_... at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> To All,
>>
>> How do you demonstrate the traceability of the NTP solution to BIPM UTC?

jlevine> Hello, This is a rather complicated question. The answer depends on
jlevine> these preliminary issues:

jlevine>    1. Do you need technical traceability, which would be adequate
jlevine> to provide a time reference derived from national time standards or
jlevine> do you need *legal* traceability in which you must be prepared to
jlevine> convince a jury in an adversary proceeding that your time was
jlevine> correct at some instant?  2. What level of accuracy/uncertainty do
jlevine> you need in the time stamps?  3. What level of reliability do you
jlevine> need in the process? That is, suppose the system that provided the
jlevine> time stamps were to fail. How long could you wait for it to be
jlevine> repaired?  4. Each of these questions is going to have a
jlevine> cost/benefit trade- off.  How much are you willing to spend (in
jlevine> time or money or ...) to achieve your requirement?  I would be
jlevine> happy to discuss these issues in this forum or off-line.

I'd be very happy to see this discussed here, and I'm happy to work on
getting this information onto appropriate pages at support.ntp.org .

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!