[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 14:19:14 UTC 2009

In article <49BC631C.1060606 at ntp.org>, mayer at ntp.org (Danny Mayer)
wrote:

> Ronan Flood wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:31:11 -0500,
> > Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> NTP version 3 is running.  I've been trying to find the command to give
> >> me the full version, including dot (like 3.4y), and I get answers, but
> >> don't know which one to believe, and if the version given is that of the
> >> NTP daemon itself, or of ntpq, or of ntpdate.
> >
> > It might get logged to /var/adm/messages or somewhere when xntpd starts,
> > but try
> >
> >  ntpq -c "rv 0 daemon_version"
> >

> However we are not supporting ntp version 3, at least not without
> funding. Is there some reason why you are not running the latest version
> of ntpd?

It's what came with that old version of Solaris, the most modern Solaris
that will run on the old Sun boxes in question.

Is NTP v4 proven to run on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9 Generic May 2002)?

The suspicion is that we have not set something up correctly, not that
NTP v3 has failed, or that NTP v4 would fare better or worse.  Don't
understand the comment about funding.

Joe Gwinn