[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 13:47:09 UTC 2009

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> In article <49BC631C.1060606 at ntp.org>, mayer at ntp.org (Danny Mayer)
> wrote:
>
>> Ronan Flood wrote:

>>> It might get logged to /var/adm/messages or somewhere when xntpd starts,
>>> but try
>>>
>>>  ntpq -c "rv 0 daemon_version"
>>>
>> However we are not supporting ntp version 3, at least not without
>> funding. Is there some reason why you are not running the latest version
>> of ntpd?
>
> It's what came with that old version of Solaris, the most modern Solaris
> that will run on the old Sun boxes in question.
>
> Is NTP v4 proven to run on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9 Generic May 2002)?

Proven?  Please define that!  It works for me.  YMMV!

> The suspicion is that we have not set something up correctly, not that
> NTP v3 has failed, or that NTP v4 would fare better or worse.  Don't
> understand the comment about funding.

Simple enough.  The people who maintain NTPD have to earn a living
somehow.  The more unpaid time they volunteer the more difficult it
becomes to pay the bills!

Version 3 is AT LEAST six years old.  V4.something is current.  Vendors
are still shipping V3 because the RFC for V4 has not yet been formally
adopted.  Or, if it has been adopted, the adoption is extremely recent.

If you have a C compiler, you can download the source and build it
yourself.  If you don't have a C compiler you can download GCC for free.