[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Sun Mar 15 18:12:49 UTC 2009

Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> writes:

>In article <lbGdnS8Bwol7myDUnZ2dnUVZ_uKWnZ2d at giganews.com>,
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

>> > The suspicion is that we have not set something up correctly, not that
>> > NTP v3 has failed, or that NTP v4 would fare better or worse.  Don't
>> > understand the comment about funding.
>> >

>> Simple enough.  The people who maintain NTPD have to earn a living
>> somehow.  The more unpaid time they volunteer the more difficult it
>> becomes to pay the bills!

>Open Source is doomed?  Bill's prayers are answered at last.

Yup, if by doomed you mean that open source stops supporting old versions
long after new versions are released. It is doomed. Oh wait, I just tried
to get support from Microsoft for my Windows 3 installation and they
refused. Microsoft is doomed.

>> Version 3 is AT LEAST six years old.

>So is the OS version being used: 2009-2002= 7 years.  So, they're
>siblings.

And how much support do you get from Sun for the operating system?