[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Mar 15 20:28:52 UTC 2009

>>> In article <joegwinn-A341A8.15084015032009 at news.giganews.com>, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> writes:

Joseph> Let me summarize:

Joseph> 1.  Sun Microsystems' current behavior is not the issue, as I'm
Joseph> loading old software from an old CD onto old computer hardware,
Joseph> hardware that cannot support a newer version of Solaris than v9.

Joseph> One of these old Solaris boxes did work with NTPv3 running an even
Joseph> older version of Solaris, with no 5914 codes, deepening the mystery.

Joseph> The fact that this obsolete system can most likely support NTPv4 is
Joseph> worth investigation, though.

I believe ntp4 will work there, and if it does not and somebody opens a bug
report on it, I expect it will be fixed.

Joseph> 2.  I think that what's happening is that I'm doing something dumb,
Joseph> and I bet that there is no real difference in how NTPv3 or NTPv4
Joseph> would react to this faux pas, whatever it turns out to be.  Nor is
Joseph> source code research needed or requested.

I mostly agree with you here, more in a bit...

Joseph> 3.  The original question was how to interpret a specific status
Joseph> code, 9514.  I read the explanation in the documentation, but became
Joseph> no wiser for it.  Thus my question.

Joseph> If there isn't a NTP FAQ entry on this, there probably should be.
Joseph> Our sysadmins were flummoxed by the cloud of 5914 codes, and they
Joseph> are far too busy to undertake a research project.  (The deeper
Joseph> problem is that some managers believe that NTP is plug and play,
Joseph> which isn't quite true.)

I think you are talking about one of my pet peeves:

 http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/NtpVariablesAndNtpq

I strongly believe that we should implement something like this.

It will need to be implemented in a way that Dave can tolerate.

The odds of this being implemented are directly proportional to somebody
doing the work.

Near as I can tell, the best way to have somebody do the work is to have
money available to pay for the work to be done.

The best way I know to get money to pay for this work to be done is to show
organizations that by joining the NTP Forum they will be spending money to
get significant value in return.

I believe projects like this one are one example of that "significant
value".
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!