[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 21:50:21 UTC 2009

In article <ywn9r60yinft.fsf at ntp1.isc.org>,
 Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:

> Joseph> In article <49BD3A1E.2020207 at ntp.org>, mayer at ntp.org (Danny Mayer)
> Joseph> wrote:
>
> Danny> NTP v4 builds on most versions of Solaris. If for some reason it does
> Danny> not build, Harlan can help with that since he's the build master. We
> Danny> have Solaris boxes in the build farm.
>
> I have access to a number of older versions of solaris for build testing.  I
> have no idea now many people are running on these older OSes, but if there
> was a problem I believe I would have heard about it.

I imagine so.

> Joseph> What's the story for IBM's AIX?
>
> I have access to some AIX boxes for build testing.  I generally do not have
> access to these boxes for runtime testing.

No runtime testing?  That's not good.  But you'll no doubt hear when
there's trouble.

What AIX version and Technology Level (~=patch level) have been used to
build NTPv4?

> One of the goals of the NTP Forum is to produce a diverse operational ntp
> build and test farm.  This goal will be realized if a sufficient number of
> organizations join the NTP Forum.

> NTPv3 was an RFC, but never a Standard.
>
> NTPv4 is, I believe, close to becoming a Standard.
>
> Joseph> I have read at least one draft.  The fact that it isn't yet a RFC is
> Joseph> not a problem.
>
> Good.

> >> yourself.  If you don't have a C compiler you can download GCC for free.
> >>
> >> We use gcc for our Solaris builds.
>
> Joseph> Also good to know, so I'll know better than to use the Sun compiler
> Joseph> (not that it's bad, but that it isn't what's been worked through
> Joseph> with NTP).
>
> I have platforms where I only use native compilers and not gcc.
>
> Again, these are build platforms, not operational test platforms.

Yes.  The context of the question was if I had to compile NTP from
source, for whatever reason.  Taming another toolchain is not something
I would look forward to.

> And again, if there was a problem I believe I would have heard about it.

Oh yes.  The bullseye is invisible, but always there.

Joe Gwinn