[ntp:questions] NTP Support (Was 'What does "Max Distance Exceeded"...')

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Mar 16 22:13:14 UTC 2009

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> We have moved from the meaning of status code 9514 to the more general

But you should have kept the thread, even if the subject changed.

> issue of how NTP shall be supported, so I've collected the relevant
> threads below.

> More generally, it's hopeless to expect the world's sysadmins to read
> NTP code (or any other kind of code).  They just don't have the time,

Generally, you only need to read a small bit of code to answer this sort
of question, but if you haven't got the time you should pay someone who
does have the time.

Historically, open source software was written for use by people who had
the ability to support it themselves.  Recently, the relationship has
become asymmetric with a lot of people wanting free software and free
support.  Whilst some open source software developers may consider it a
valuable loss leader to produce a naive user product and support it, may
even consider it part of their mission, most open source developers are
not that interested in donating that level of free support.

Actually a lot of commercial software, these days, is dumbed down,
supported, open source material.