[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Tue Mar 17 02:35:58 UTC 2009

In article <49BE52AB.1000504 at ntp.org>, mayer at ntp.org (Danny Mayer)
wrote:

> Joe Gwinn wrote:
> > Status code values fixed.

> >>  > version of Solaris, with no 9514 codes, deepening the mystery.
> >>  >

> >> The trouble here is that those codes are *very likely* likely to have
> >> changed between V3 and V4 since there was a large rewrite between the
> >> two. That's why looking at the source code is necessary to get you the
> >> help you need.
> >
> > As discussed in my other reply, mutating codes is a blunder.   It's a
> > good news bad news thing.  The good news is that NTP has succeeded on an
> > unimagined scale.  The bad news is that because of that scale, one must
> > be *very* respectful of NTP's existing base, and it can be constraining.
> >

> You won't get any argument from us. However, Dave Mills is responsible
> for these codes and we haven't been able to get him to agree to not
> change the test code numbers and to use new ones if he needs more and
> just not reuse the old ones. He has good reasons for changing the tests
> but changing the meaning of the same code is harder to fathom. His view
> is that these are internal tests but when you are trying to track down a
> problem with your ntp daemon, it's important to know what they mean.

These codes are *not* internal only.  They are documented in RFC-1305,
Appendix B, which is also pointed to by the NTPv4 documentation
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/monopt.html>.  These codes
are quite public.

> >>  > The fact that this obsolete system can most likely support NTPv4 is

> >> Which is why you need to look at the source code. Documentation isn't
> >> always clear or definitive but the source code will tell you.
> >
> > It simply cannot be required to read source code to get the definitions
> > of status codes, even if the documentation has to give one definition
> > per NTP version.  NTP is used on hundreds of millions of computers.  Are
> > we expecting that every time someone gets an unexpected code they either
> > have to read the source code, or pay someone to read it for them?  I'm
> > sorry, but that cannot work.
> >

> I agree, but I'm not the person you need to persuade. In V4 the flash
> codes are listed in libntp/statestr.c. I don't know about V3.

While given the pointer I may well look, the fundamental issue remains.

> You may also be amused by this sync code:
> 	{ CTL_SST_TS_WRSTWTCH,	"sync_wristwatch" },

Heh.  Hairy wrist required.

Joe Gwinn