[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Mar 17 17:59:26 UTC 2009

Joseph> In article <ywn9tz5tflz6.fsf at ntp1.isc.org>,
Joseph>  Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:

> [...]

Joseph> I don't think that I have inconsistent versions of ntpd and ntpq,
Joseph> because both came off the same CD from Sun Microsystems.

>>  It's still the same beast.  The bottom line is we currently have opaque
>> data being presented to the user, and that is either being offered
>> directly to the user (in your case) or is being potentially mis-converted
>> by ntpq.

Joseph> I have a lot of trouble believing that Sun put inconsistent versions
Joseph> on their Solaris install CDs.

I was not talking about the inconsistent version problem.  I'm talking about
opaque data.

Joseph> Nor am I using NTPQ for decoding.  I decode these codes myself,
Joseph> following Appendix B of RFC-1305.  It turns out that NTPv4 uses the
Joseph> same definitions.  See
Joseph> <http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/monopt.html>.

Then I may have misunderstood.

My point is that while it's fine for ntpd to send "encoded data", I think we
need to have a way for that data to *also* be sent decoded, or provide
enough information so programs like ntpq can decode the result, regardless
of which version of ntpd they are talking to.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!