[ntp:questions] NTP Support (Was 'What does "Max Distance Exceeded"...')

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 17 21:15:37 UTC 2009

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

> More generally, it's hopeless to expect the world's sysadmins to read
> NTP code (or any other kind of code).  They just don't have the time,

I had a look at the W32Time documentation in Technet and it seems to me
that you need access to the source code (and a thorough knowledge of NTP
and the history of W32Time non-compliances) to understand many of the
parameters in that.

(Incidentally, many of the default parameters vary from NTP standards by
orders of magnitude, and it is not at all clear whether it actually
implements the NTP clock discipline algorithm, even in latest versions.)