[ntp:questions] Test internal clock

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Mar 19 08:53:49 UTC 2009

Towli wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to test my internal clock (from my domain pc) against a
> public ntp server, to see if there is a discrepance (i suspect our domain
> time is not synchronised properly).
> Is there a way to do this?

Just for a quick test you can run

ntpdate -qb server

from a command line window. This works even if port 123 has already been
opened on the local machine, e.g. because w32time or ntpd is running.

Also it sends its requests from a non-privileged port, so this *may* work
even if port 123 is blocked by your firewall.

A ZIP file with the current NTP binaries is available at:
http://www.meinberg.de/download/ntp/windows/ntp-4.2.4p6%40vegas-v2-o-win32-binaries.zip

You can simply extract the binaries from this, without having to do a full
software installation.

HTH,

Martin
--