[ntp:questions] Test internal clock

Rob nomail at example.com
Thu Mar 19 09:15:53 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Towli wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to test my internal clock (from my domain pc) against a
>> public ntp server, to see if there is a discrepance (i suspect our
>> domain time is not synchronised properly).
>> Is there a way to do this?
>>
>> Bst rgds from Denmark
>> /T
>
> You can install ntpd and/or ntpdate.  Ntpdate will either set your clock
> or tell you how far off it is, depending on the options you select.
> Ntpdate is deprecated.
>
> Ntpd will discipline your clock so that it synchronizes with your
> selected time source(s).
>
> Meinberg Funkuhren offers a pre-built ntpd for Windows together with a
> Windows "installer".  Our Meinberg contact is "Martin Burnicki"
> <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de>

I am a little confused about this group...

Is it really only about ntpd as written by Dr. Mills?
I believed it is in the "protocols" hierarchy and is about the "ntp"
protocol.

When somebody asks a question about a Windows system, where a native
NTP implementation is available that can be debugged with a simple
commandline program (w32tm), the response to any question invariably
is to "install ntpd".

It may have some advantages, but is it really necessary for everyone?
Wouldn't it be better to help everyone with the software they are using,
instead to first suggest them to convert?

It almost seems like a religious group.  Most people try to convert
the world to Mills' NTPD, and then there is the dissident who tries
to push Chrony in every thread.

Not really necessary, I think.