[ntp:questions] Test internal clock

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 09:41:10 UTC 2009

Rob wrote:
[]
> When somebody asks a question about a Windows system, where a native
> NTP implementation is available that can be debugged with a simple
> commandline program (w32tm), the response to any question invariably
> is to "install ntpd".
>
> It may have some advantages, but is it really necessary for everyone?
> Wouldn't it be better to help everyone with the software they are
> using, instead to first suggest them to convert?
>
> It almost seems like a religious group.  Most people try to convert
> the world to Mills' NTPD, and then there is the dissident who tries
> to push Chrony in every thread.
>
> Not really necessary, I think.

Rob,

In the case of the Windows Time Service, until recently the /best/ advice
was to replace it with NTP.

I am working in an environment where accuracy to within half a second or
better is sometimes required, and NTP provides that.  I have tried many
programs over the years, and come to the conclusion that Meinberg's NTP
installation is the easiest way to get what I need.  It doesn't mean that
there aren't things I would like to see improved, though!

Cheers,
David