[ntp:questions] Test internal clock

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 19 17:41:32 UTC 2009

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

>Rob wrote:
>> It almost seems like a religious group.  Most people try to convert
>> the world to Mills' NTPD, and then there is the dissident who tries
>> to push Chrony in every thread.
>>

>I think I see people following you, carrying torches and fagots.

>> Not really necessary, I think.

>You are right!  Chrony is not really necessary!

Nor, as you stated is ntp. Some people are happy with the correct date and
your ability to use Word is hardly impacted even if the date is out by 5
days.
Also, if you use windows, it is impossible to use chrony.
If you have a refclock it is impossible to use chrony.
On the other hand if you run linux or BSD and want your time to converge
rapidly ( minutes rather than hours) to the correct time, or want
timekeeping which is a factor of 2-3 better than ntpd (in tests I have run),
 it may be worth giving chrony a look at.
But you are right, chrony is not really necessary.