[ntp:questions] Test internal clock

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Mar 19 19:43:21 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-19, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:

> But [the Microsoft implementation of] NTP [for Windows] is perfectly
> capable of doing [something].
>
> I am not trying to convince people to use Windows or the w32time
> service, but I disagree with the opinion that it does not work, uses
> sntp only, or leads to times that are seconds off the mark.
>
> It seems like many here base their opinion on Windows NT and think
> that Microsoft never improves anything. And they also think that
> everyone asking a question about the NTP protocol

Most questions from "visitors" to this news-group tend to be about
using NTP software rather than the actual NTP protocol.

The regular participants, on the other hand, discuss the NTP protocol in
the context of The NTP Reference Implementation from www.ntp.org / UDEL.

> must first be converted to the software of their choice.

That's our choice. Not yours.

> That does not belong in a .protocols group, IMHO.

This news-group has, historically, been focused on The NTP Reference
Implementation from www.ntp.org / UDEL. So it is natural that vast
majority of the participants in this news-group use and recommend The
NTP Reference Implementation.

You are free to participate and reccomend solutions which are acceptable
in your world view. However you have no business telling us that we need
to change our focus.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>