[ntp:questions] Quoting Practices (Was: Re: Test internal clock)

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Mar 20 12:12:31 UTC 2009

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

>On 2009-03-20, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

>> And it makes even more sense to have it at the top so that I can see that
>> the response is totally off topic without having to scroll through the
>> whole rest of the ancient history of the post.

>A good writer, who is considerate of his readers, will take the time
>necessary to edit the quoted material in an article (as I have done in
>this case) to focus on the salient material.

>http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Yes, and remove all of the context of the quote, and in this case remove
the clear sarcasm which was the pupose of the post in the first place, and
furthermore, making the quote a "top post" when it was supposed to be a
"bottom post"

While it is completely irrelevant in this case, context is often crucial to
meaning, and quoting out of context is a well known editorial device of
distortion.

I would much rather have someone overquote and top post, than strip out the
whole context and answer with a one word bottom post ( or worse, and
interleaved post without any whitespace to indicate where the interpost
lies).