[ntp:questions] refclock on Windows graphs

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Mar 20 12:21:30 UTC 2009

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> writes:

>David J Taylor wrote:
>[]
>> Yes,
>>
>> I've been searching for a utility which can do what I need, and
>> graphical programs or no problem, but for MRTG I need something with
>> text output to StdOut.  Either disk temperature or CPU temperature
>> would be fine, just a program which outputs a string I can parse. Needs
>> to run on a Dell 4400 with Windows XP.
>>
>> I'd write one myself, but time doesn't permit at the moment.
>>
>> David

>I found something on the Internet and was able to adapt it for my own use:
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/disk.html#DiskTemp

>Original:
>  http://www.delphipraxis.net/topic115743_smart+figured+out.html&highlight=smart

>I put the temperature graph next to the timekeeping graph here:

>  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_feenix.php

>but I think that ambient temperature would be much more useful than HDD
>temperature.

Unfortunately the scale on the graph is a bit useless (the variation is
squeezed up far too much). Also It is not at all clear what the
"Timekeeping" graph is a graph of. Is that the offset, the drift rate
correction? And what is 5001's ? (the quoted offset) It is the drift rate
that should correlate with temp.

It is certainly true that something like disk temp is a best a poor proxy
for the timing crystal temp. esp since the disk is probably not the main
heat source. The CPU temp would rpobably be a better proxy, but obviously
even that is not very good. "motherboard temp" might be better. Anyway, by
plotting both the drift rate correction and the temp of these various
locations you could get a better idea of which correlated best with the
timing crystal rates.