[ntp:questions] Quoting Practices (Was: Re: Test internal clock)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Mar 20 14:15:41 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-20, Phil.Newlon at wendysarbys.com <Phil.Newlon at wendysarbys.com> wrote:

> Well quoted, top-posted messages are the easiest for me to deal with
> on a handheld.

The problem with virtually all top-posted replies is that the authors
don't bother to edit the quoted material. They just mash the reply
button and start typing in their reply where ever the cursor lands.

Plus the bottom-quoted material generally includes an unreasonable
amount of header information which one has to scroll past.

> I can swallow either top or bottom post, really, but have great
> appreciation for a well-quoted message that I don't have to scroll up
> and down in to follow the quoting.

The problem is that most messages are not "well-quoted"; another symptom
of the "me first" culture.

> In-line quoting is the worst to handle because line wraps are not
> pretty on a handheld.

Un-wrapped lines (e.g. flowed text) are not pretty on the text-mode
news-readers that many of us use.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>