[ntp:questions] ntpq and local clock driver

Eike Middell emiddell at gmx.net
Sun Mar 22 14:33:41 UTC 2009

Hi,
I've got a question regarding a ntp daemon that has only the
"undisciplined clock driver" as a reference clock. To what
extent does this daemon influence the local clock?

The context of the question is the following.
I've got a small network time synchronized to one host with a GPS clock.
The status of the individual ntp daemons (especially the offset to their
respective reference clock) are periodically monitored with ntpq.

I would like to compare this setup to an independent time reference in
order to see if there are collectively performed jumps. These I wouldn't
see in the monitoring that I have so far. Since I want to detect
suddenly occuring offsets, the independent reference would not have to
be frequency stable. It only has to provide a continous time line.

A cheap solution would be to add another host to the network which
distributes its local time by ntp. So it would be possible to monitor
this independent source with the already available tools. Of course
nothing would be gained if the ntp daemon running on this host would
create jumps in the provided time.

Thanks in advance,
Eike Middell