[ntp:questions] Using different timebase for ntpd

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 23 22:45:14 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>> On 2009-03-23, Patrick Loschmidt <Patrick.Loschmidt at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to replace the linux/unix system clock by a special clock
>>> maintained on a PCI card.
>>
>> The RTC on the motherboard or the kernel clock? ntpd ignores the former
>> and disciplines the latter.
>
> As I understand it, he is replacing the kernel clock's role, so he needs
> to replace all the system calls that read and discipline the kernel
> clocks by ones that read and discipline the special hardware.

It might be useful to know exactly what hardware is in use.  Some of the
  fancier clocks have provision for GPS input.  I believe that both
Meinberg and Symmetricomm offer such.  I believe that both companies
offer driver software for these clocks allowing you to read and set them
and, perhaps, offering other functions as well.