[ntp:questions] Using different timebase for ntpd

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Mar 23 23:46:48 UTC 2009

Patrick,

An external timebase has been implemented in two ways. The most
desireable is via the kernel and an appropriate shared memory device
driver. An alternative way is to used a driver such as the KSI/Odetics
TPRO refclock driver. There might even be a refclock driver for the old
TrueTime TT-560, although Symmetricom gutted the TT product line when
they ate them.

There are numberous gremlins in your project. If all you want to do is
stabilize the motherboard timer oscillator, poke the timer pin with a
stable stignal and let the kernel/NTP feedback loop do the discipline
and interpolation. If you want to do frequency discipline, you will need
to engineer some critical loop parameters. See Chapter 4 in my book.

Dave