[ntp:questions] Using different timebase for ntpd

Patrick Loschmidt Patrick.Loschmidt at gmx.net
Tue Mar 24 10:47:12 UTC 2009

Hi!

Thanks all for the answers so far.

> David Woolley wrote:
> As I understand it, he is replacing the kernel clock's role, so he
> needs to replace all the system calls that read and discipline the
> kernel clocks by ones that read and discipline the special hardware.

Correct. I have a PCI network card which runs it's own internal clock. I
made a literature research and couldn't find anyone implementing NTP
with hardware support for timestamping. Since I can modify the FPGA
based card, my first step is to get NTPd discipline the clock on the
card, that's why I have to replace all the system calls to the kernel
clock ...

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> It might be useful to know exactly what hardware is in use.  Some of the
>  fancier clocks have provision for GPS input.  I believe that both
> Meinberg and Symmetricomm offer such.  I believe that both companies
> offer driver software for these clocks allowing you to read and set them
> and, perhaps, offering other functions as well.

Normally, I would just use a normal mainboard with a special oscillator,
but that doesn't solve my problem. As far as I could find out, nobody so
far modified the clock to be disciplined in NTP ...

Regards,
Patrick