[ntp:questions] Trading jitter for offset

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 19:52:28 UTC 2009

I have a system using NMEA and PPS, from which I'm getting microseconds of
jitter but hundreds of microseconds of offset.  OK, perhaps the crystal is
cheap, and the room temperature is definitely not stabilised!  This is
with ntp 4.2.4p6, and a 16 second minpoll for the refclock (and minpoll
1024s for the Internet-sourced backup servers, to avoid frequent lookups).

Is there a parameter I can tune from the ntp.conf which would reduce the
offset, at the expense of increased jitter?  Perhaps I'm asking for the
impossible?

Thanks,
David