[ntp:questions] NTP Leap Second Trace program updated....

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 25 20:26:39 UTC 2009

Augustine wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2:30 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.neither-
> this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> wrote:
>> ntp1.arse.org
>
> I'm not surprised about this one... :-D
>
> Jokes aside, why do we still see such announcements months after the
> event?  What can be done to mitigate and weed out such servers?  Can
> NTP be improved to discard such servers?  Should it?

Make a list of servers that erroneously advertise a leap second and
publish it!  It may shame some sysadmins into fixing their systems and
may also serve as a warning to others.

The list should include ONLY stratum one servers; anybody else
erroneously advertising a leap second almost certainly got it, directly
or indirectly, from a stratum one server.