[ntp:questions] NTP Leap Second Trace program updated....

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Mar 25 21:08:26 UTC 2009

Augustine <evandro at mailinator.com> writes:

>On Mar 25, 2:30=A0pm, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.neither-
>this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> ntp1.arse.org

>I'm not surprised about this one... :-D

>Jokes aside, why do we still see such announcements months after the
>event?  What can be done to mitigate and weed out such servers?  Can
>NTP be improved to discard such servers?  Should it?

It is hard to see how, other than sending nasty messages to those people.
If you have enough servers they should be outvoted. One could write ntp so
as to only believe the leapseconds file, but that would lead to other
problems.  Note that ntp will ignore leapsecond flags except on June 30 and
Dec 31. While Mar 31 and Sep 30 are also possible leapsecond times, the
current ntp (well the last I looked at was 4.2.4p4) does not recognize them.